So P has asked that he not be the only one to write these posts, so I will have to see what I can come up with.
Last night my original idea had just been to have macaroni and cheese (one of my quick and easy "no meat" meals). But I have also been thinking recently that we really need to be eating more vegetables. So I decided to include some squash in the sauce which put me in mind of some yummy squash soup that I have made in the past.
All of these thoughts culminated in the following (please note that I rarely use an actual recipe when I am cooking so the following measurements are my educated guesses):
Squash and three cheese pasta
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion - diced
1 clove garlic - crushed
2 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups squash (I used Hubbard but you could use any with a nice flavor and texture)
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1-2 cups cheddar cheese - grated
2-4 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp whipping cream (optional)
salt & pepper
Heat the oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook until just browning. Turn down the heat and add the flour to make a roux.
Add chicken stock (this can be wholly or partially substituted with vegetable stock or with milk) and stir to thicken. Cook for a few minutes to cook out some of the flour taste. Add the squash and cook for 5-10 minutes on a medium-low heat. Add the cheese (these amounts can be adjusted for what you prefer or have on hand).
Adjust the consistency with chicken stock or milk and season with salt & pepper.
Add the cream if you are using it. Serve with hot pasta and a green vegetable to make a nice complete meal. This made enough sauce for P and I plus our 2 year old and there are enough leftovers that I can either serve this again or possibly add more liquid to it and turn it into soup for lunch.
If you are concerned with a lack of protein in the meal then a couple of eggs can be added at the same time as the cheese. Just make sure not to cook the sauce too much after adding them or they will cause the sauce to end up with little bits of scrambled egg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment